Transitional Shelter FAQs

Am I eligible?

You are considered homeless if you do not have a permanent residence or are living somewhere not meant to be a permanent home, such as a car, tent, or outbuilding. You must have children under the age of 18 and also be a resident of Aitkin, Cass, Chisago, Crow Wing, Isanti, Kanabec, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Pine or Todd County. There are additional criteria, so contact us for a review of your individual situation.

How do I access services?

Call one of our Day Centers and ask to speak with someone about staying in our shelter. If we have an opening and determine you are eligible, you will be asked to visit the Day Center with your family. Our Case Manager will explain our program, review documents you will need to sign, and answer any questions. Upon confirmation of space and eligibility, you may enter the program.

Do I have to pay anything?

No, our services are free of charge, allowing you to save any money you earn while you are in our program. We will provide you with food, shelter, and personal care items at no charge.   We do everything possible to cover your basic needs so you can focus on your plan to return to stable housing.

What other support do you give?

You will be working with a Case Manager while you are staying with us. They will provide guidance on anything related to obtaining housing. The Case Manager will work with you to develop an action plan and you will provide daily updates so they can help you overcome any challenges that arise.

In some cases, the Case Manager might also have access to funds or other resources to assist you with applications, deposits, clothing, and transportation.

In addition, our team will connect you with community resources that can help you achieve long term stability. These resources include mental health counselors, parenting classes, Head Start, medical doctors, county financial support, medical assistance, food assistance, and more.

To contact us, click here.